Mars was the fourth planet from the Sun in the Solar System. It was terraformed in the 21st century and became the most populated planet. Mars was sometimes nicknamed as the "Red Planet" because of its reddish appearance, due to iron oxide prevalent on its surface. According to Spike, Mars was a good planet to live on if you're rich.
Life on Mars Edit
Mars colonies were mostly built inside large craters on the surface. An artificial atmosphere was created over each crater to cover it. Large devices constantly replenished the atmosphere. In this way, a colony could be established with atmospheric and climatic features similar to those of Earth.
- You can launch yourself off Deimos by running, because the escape velocity is only 11km/hr (7 mph)
- Mars is home to Olympus Mons, perhaps one of the largest volcanoes in our solar system. Olympus Mons is three times taller than Mount Everest and as wide as the state of New Mexico
- No human could survive the low pressure of Mars. If you went to Mars without an appropriate space suit, the fluid layer lining the surface of lungs would evaporate very quickly, making it impossible to breathe
- Phobos orbits remarkably close to Mars and is gradually sinking into the Red Planet. In about 50 million years it will either crash into Mars or break up and form a small ring around the planet.
- The Martian city in Session 2 seems to have a very large Chinese population, for Chinese elements are constantly depicted: the announcement at the Astral Gate is in Mandarin; the various street signs are all written in Chinese (not Japanese Kanji); the bartender that Abdul Hakim interacts with speaks Cantonese; the group of civilians that block the scientists in their pursuit seems to be playing a Chinese chess called Xiangqi; Spike and Jet also joke about having Peking duck throughout the session.
- Mars seems to be an extensive trading center, as can be assumed by the store clerks statement in Session 2, "You can buy anything here on Mars, from guns to human lives,"