| Vicious |
|Date Of Birth||?/?/2044|
|Height||6'2" (188 cm)|
|Planet Of Origin||Mars|
|Known Aliases||"Venomous Snake"|
|Weapon Of Choice||Katana|
Skip Stellrecht (English)
- "A ravenous beast. The same blood runs through both of us. The blood of a beast who wanders, hunting for the blood of others."
- ―Vicious to Spike[src]
Vicious was born in 2044. Much about his early life is unknown but at some point in time Vicious develops a relationship with Julia and meets Spike Spiegel. Spike takes Vicious under his wing and inside the Red Dragon Syndicate. Under Spike and Mao Yenrai, Vicious rises up the ranks inside the Syndicate. It is unclear when and why Vicious fights in the War on Titan.
Learning of a relationship between Spike and Julia, Vicious puts a hit out on Spike and tells Julia that if she doesn't kill Spike that he will kill them both. After Spike and Julia both disappear Vicious hunts for them as he countinues to rise in power inside the Red Dragon Syndicate.
Vicious is a tall and thin man with gray, untamed hair. His weapon of choice is a katana. This gives him a slight resemblance to Goemon Ishikawa from Lupin III, just as Spike seems to be a homage to Lupin himself and Jet's beard and preference for firearms invokes Daisuke Jigen. He is usually seen with his pet cormorant perched on his shoulder and his katana in hand. Vicious is 27 years old, though appears older due to his grey hair, the deep bags beneath his eyes, and a generally worn face. His elderly appearance at his young age could possibly be attributed to the events on Titan, some event linked to it, or his implied Red Eye addiction. He usually appears with a scowl, although there are a few scenes in which he smiles.
Vicious is portrayed as a cold, ruthless, bloodthirsty, and ambitious man who prefers solitude. Within the Red Dragon, he is feared by his senior leaders, the Van, precisely because of his social climbing, is willing to do anything to get what he wants, and doesn't place the slightest moral scruple in fulfilling heinous acts to reach his goals and achieve a more powerful position. Amongst that, he ruthlessly sacrifices his subordinates and conspires behind those who have sworn allegiance.
He is considered by many people to be the dark half of Spike, basically showing the same indifferent attitude towards everything, although more sociopathically and less passive. He also shares with Spike a strong cynicism and rather similar opinions on life and several ethical issues.
Vicious doesn't show the least respect for traditions or ancestors and, proof of this, considers the Van's code, the doctrine of honor of the Red Dragon Crime Syndicate, a bunch of unfounded principles, principles that he usually transgresses, and begins a crusade in order to destroy them. He also doesn't show any respect for the Van, considering them incompetent old corpses lost in their past, nor for any human life or any other character.
Curiously, Vicious is never seen smiling during the whole series, apart from the sadistic grin during battles and the smirk in flashbacks showing him fighting alongside Spike.
Given the conditions of his conjunctiva, it is quite credible that Vicious uses the drug Red Eye.
Because of his slimy and often ambiguous nature, the Van terms him as "the poisonous snake," or, more simply, "the snake." This epithet is also given to him by the shaman Laughing Bull.
Vicious does not show much character development throughout the series, as his initial attitude and beliefs remain constant until his last appearance. While his character does not develop internally, more of his life story is revealed, such as his involvement on Titan. Also, his links with other characters becomes more apparent, including his relationships with Spike and Julia, suggesting a love triangle.
( ) = Speech of other characters
- Vicious talking to Spike in Session 05: Ballad Of Fallen Angels.
"When Angels are thrown out from Heaven they become Devils; you agree don't you Spike?"
"You should see yourself. Do you have any idea what you look like right at this moment Spike? ("What?") A ravenous beast. The same blood runs through both of us, the blood of a beast that wanders, hunting for the blood of others. ("I've bled all that kind of blood away.") Then why are you STILL ALIVE?!"
- Vicious to Spike in Session 13: Jupiter Jazz (Part II)'
"There is nothing to believe in. There is no need to believe."
"Make your move."
"I'm the only one who can keep you alive. And I'm the only one who can kill you."
- Vicious to The Van in Session 25: The Real Folk Blues (Part I)
"And you will shed tears of scarlet" (English) "You shall shed red tears" (Japanese)
- Vicious to Spike in Session 26: The Real Folk Blues (Part II)
("Julia passed away. Let's end it all!") "If that's your wish."
- Vicious appears in every episode in which Julia is mentioned.
- Vicious's Japanese voice actor is Norio Wakamoto who has famously done such roles as Oskar von Reuenthal in Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Cell in Dragon Ball Z, he later went on to voice Emperor Charles zi Britannia in Code Geass and Alexander Anderson in Hellsing Ultimate.
- Vicious has many similarities to Maleficent from Disney's Sleeping Beauty as they are both named after adjectives related to wickedness and cruelty, both carry around rod-like objects, have pet birds, and have jealously as a motivation for their misdeeds, usually related to blonde women.
- Vicious's bird is a homage to Captain Harlock's bird from Endless Odyssey. Also, in the last episode of Space Dandy, you can see a bird that looks like Vicious's bird.